Popham Model Show 21st & 22nd August 2021
The preparation for the biggest model event in Popham Airfields history is progressing rapidly.
For the first time the airfield will close its main runways for model flying off runway 21/03 (Refer to Google Maps the long runway at 45 degrees to the A303). A NOTAM will be issued to close the airfield for the duration of the model flying. 2021 will be the forerunner for an annual event in the south of England.
If you are a pilot and interested in participating, then you will need to get in touch soon as the flight schedule is open now for entries (no admission fee for pilots). We are expecting Fixed wing – Electrics, I.C. and turbines, Gliders, Rotary Aircraft, Control-line and FPV with a full program of flying over the weekend. Contact: Terry Weeks by email firstname.lastname@example.org
There will be a static display under cover in the main Marquee, bring and buy, FPV workshops and indoor catering.
Initial information / Briefing notes.
- Address and welcome to all – Mike Pearson Event Manager.
- Terry Weeks is the overall Flight-Line Director for the day, he will be assisted by David Smith and other members of the S Area BMFA each appointed for a discipline designated at the briefing.
- The briefing will commence at 9:15 am each day, followed by Pilot registration. Flying in allocated slots between 10:00 & 4:00 Daily. Pilots arriving later in the day or on the second day must register before they fly once registered pilots can fly as required on either / both days. All Pilots must ensure they have their insurance details and CAA number available at registration.
- Advice on flight-line(s) layout and advice on who will be the Flight-line Director for each discipline. This briefing will take place before any flying commences. The main airfield will be closed for the period of the show.
- 2.4 GHz only to be used – Sorry but no 35 MHz
- Only current BMFA, SMA, LMA & FPV UK members may fly and they should be registered by the CAA. Achievement Scheme Certification is compulsory, but the Flight Director still reserves the right to prevent any pilots that are seen fall below an acceptable standard from flying.
- The days will be programmed with flying slots to cater for the various disciplines. Guest flyers; Fixed wing; Helicopters; Vintage, Gliders and Gas Turbines.
- The operating ceiling for all disciplines will be TBA – NOTAM being sought.
- In the event of any crashes (hopefully none) all debris (F.O.D) to be collected and removed from the site.
- Any “Fly-aways” (hopefully none) to be reported to the Event Director.
- If you would like to fly contact Terry Weeks via the S. Area BMFA website under “contact us” for a registration form.
- Camping – £60 for the weekend. (includes admission)
- Traders – £40 for the weekend.
- Adults £10., Children £5, Family £25.
- Fliers free admission (This to be managed).
The above is common sense but please follow this advice to the letter so we can hold further events in the coming years and not cause the airfield staff any grief.